Prototypes, UK - The Deptford System
This article was published May 17, 2012.
The last of the 18in gauge steam-operated military service lines to be opened in UK, was the system which served the Army Service Corps depot at Deptford.
This site had formerly been the City of London Corporation's Foreign Cattle Market and from 1900 it had been connected to the LBSCR's Deptford Wharf branch by means of a standard gauge tramway passing through Grove Street. Shortly after the outbreak of WW1 the site was requisitioned for use as a ration depot.
Deptford is the place where the famous open box wagons were used (see Downloads).